September 8, 2008

Who Needs Copics, Anyways? Handpainted Watercoloring with an Alcohol-filled Paintbrush

Who needs Copics, anyways? I completed this card set using my new favorite technique: watercoloring with an alcohol filled Aquapainter paintbrush. I struggled and struggled with the thought of buying Copic alcohol based markers, but have you seen how expensive they are? And then I felt like you would have to have so many of them to get just the right shading.
Some crafters at Splitcoaststampers.com suggested I try an alcohol filled paintbrush and use the Stampin Up! ink pads and markers I already have and I am just delighted with the results.
Try it! You will save yourself a ton of $$$ and will be able to used all the waterbased markers and inks you already have. I found I only needed a small list of supplies which are readily available at your local craft store:

AquaPainter paintbrush
140lb watercolor paper
rubbing alcohol
acryllic stamping block
waterbased markers and/or ink pads
StazOn Jet Black ink pad

First I stamped my image using Stazon Jet Black permanent ink. Using a permanent ink will prevent your image from running away on you! Then I scribbled some green ink on an acryllic block which I used like a color pallette, dip the alcohol filled brush in my ink and paint to my heart's content. I added more color in places that I wanted to appear shadowed and less in places I thought the light would be shinning.

Tip:


  • If I'm mass producing images for a set of cards, I preserve ink by painting one color at a time instead of one image at a time. This is a time saver too because you don't have to keep cleaning your block to change colors as frequently

Here are some other cards I have created using this same technique:








2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I'll have to give that a try.
    Your blog looks great!!
    Hugs,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your coloring looks great. I'm going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails