September 11, 2009

Katey's Wedding Cake Card


I made this card yesterday while Little Keith was sleeping. I was only going to post it to SCS but I saw a had some comments on it this morning so I thought I would just go ahead and post it here even though the recipient is a follower of my blog!
So I started with Whisper White card stock and made three cake pieces: 3.5 x 1.75, 3 x 1.75 and 2.5 x 1.25. I stacked them just like I would stack my finished cake inside my Swirls Cuttlebug embossing folder and ran it through my Big Kick. I wanted to work with just the cake at first not knowing what to do yet with the base so I adhered 2 strips of scrap paper to the back of the cake lengthwise so I could work with it in one piece. I cut three lengths of brown satin eyed ribbon. Katey's bridesmaid dresses are a rich chocolate satin! Did I mention I'm a bridesmaid? I can't wait to wear my dress.
To embellish the cake I used my Little Leaves and Birds and Blooms dies in colors of Kiwi Kiss, Ridinghood Red and Tangerine Tango. To make the flowers seem more dimensional I folded each petal so it would stand. I glued the two layers together with mini glue dots (a life saver for this project) and I adhered pearls to the center of each.
Once I knew what I wanted my cake to look like this actually came together very easily!
For my base I made a 5 x 7 card out of textured Kiwis Kiss cs and a sheet of Chocolate Chip dotted dsp. It's from the Bella dsp pack. To give this project just a little more I decided to frame my dsp layer with brown grosgrain ribbon.
One other special detail...I punched a hole in the side of the card and threaded ribbon through it to be tied as a special closure.
I hope Katey likes her cake! I really wanted to make something special and beautiful for her wedding. I'm really looking forward to the BIG DAY!
Ingredients: all SU! unless noted
Stamps: none
Paper: Whisper White cs, textured cs Ridinghood Red, Tangerine Tango, Kiwi Kiss, Kiwi Kiss cs, Chocolate Chip dsp from Bella series(retired)
Ink: none
Accessories: Cuttlebug embossing folder, corner rounder punch(ek success),
ribbon(lss), adhesive pearls(Marc Richards), Little Leaves and Birds and Blooms dies
Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails