January 12, 2011

A Very Special Color Throwdown Challenge


Hi All! Today is a very special edition of the Color Throwdown Challenge. This week, while we have a beautiful palette of colors provided by our hostess Broni, today's challenge is for Katie Renz. Please read on...

"Today's challenge also has a special twist. A few weeks ago, one of our team members read a thread on Splitcoaststampers about a fellow Stamping Sister who is very sick. Katie Renz lives in Washington state, is a wife and mother of three and was diagnosed just before Christmas with stage 4 gastric cancer. The members of the Throwdown team felt the need to rally around Katie and show her our support, so we are asking everyone to create their cards today to send to Katie!


For her mailing address, please send an email to colorthrowdown[at]gmail[dot]com. The emails will be checked at least twice a day, and a response will be sent with Katie's mailing address. To further inspire you, we're offering some prizes! Several members of the Throwdown team are chipping in some prizes, as is Kate from i {heart} papers! We'll draw random winners from everyone who makes a card for Katie and provides a direct link to their card using the McLinky widget below by 11:59 p.m. EST on Sunday, January 16th. THANK YOU for joining us in showing support to Katie!"

I made my card for Katie with this week's colors...



I started out knowing I wanted to using January's SFYTT from Jen del Muro
and this fabulous Pure Innocence set called Hello, Cupcake that my awesome friend Bar sent to me for Christmas. Wasn't that so SWEET!

I first created the tag you see below thinking I could easy incorporate it into the layout as the focal panel but some how it just didn't come together for me So I started over by creating a new focal panel and the rest sort of fell into place using these papers from the Togetherness minideck from Cosmo Cricket. It's a more muted take on our colors this week, but I snuck them in nonetheless although I did swap out Soft Sky for PTI's Aqua Mist as that's the closest I have and of course, Kraft is making an appearance in my design this week :). I'm happy with the results and I hope that Katie will be too.

I was quite emotional writing my personal message to Katie. Funny, because I usually sit down to write something like that and I'm speechless but not this time. I am happy to report I made a special trip to the post office just to get this to her.

On a fun note, I wasn't able to get a picture of the prize I'm offering to CTD participants, but I I have a whole bunch of CA-UTE stamps from Studio G, Stampin' Up as well as several spools of pretty ribbon. Some of the Studio-G stamps have been gently used, but you would never know it and the SU sets and ribbon are all brand spankin' new. I got a medium flat rate box from the PO and I'm basically just going to fill it with goodness!

So make sure to make a card for Katie using this week's colors, upload it to your blog or online gallery and then link it to the Color Throwdown Blog using the linky tool provided and please, encourage your crafty friends to join us this week as we support Katie Renz.

If you'd like to see more projects made using this weeks colors, please stop by the blogs of my fellow design team members as they NEVER disappoint!

Tammy Hershberger
Kristin Bueter
Broni Holcombe
Barbara Anders
Danielle Kennedy
LeAnne Pugliese
Cathy Indelicato
Lori Tecler, January Guestie.

Thanks so much for stopping by today!
Photobucket

Ingredients: Card
Stamps: Pure Innocence
Paper: Kraft, Aqua Mist(PTI), Melon Mambo, Early Espresso(SU!),
Ink: Copics markers, Raspberry Fizz(PTI), Chocolate Chip(SU!)
Accessories: Aqua Mist ribbon(PTI), button, rhinestone(my stash), twine(The Twinery and Paper Treats on ETSY), scallop border punch(SU!), sewing machine, Stickles

Tag: all of the above but add...
Accessories: Cricut Personal Cutter (tag made from George & Basic Shapes cartridge), open scallop punch(SU!)

10 comments:

  1. Laura - so cute! Your coloring is great and I love all the different layers you have going on here. Thanks so much for helping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is sooo adorable and I just love how you've colored and paper-pieced this sweet PI image! Thanks to the CTD DT for organizing this special challenge for Katie...I had tears galore when I read her story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful layering and coloring on this! Gorgeous creation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card and tag are what's so sweet, girlie! This is adorable and you've done little PI up so well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very cute! Love that PI girl! Great paper combination and I love the bakers twine you used with the button!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your card and tag are absolutely too sweet, Laura! Katie will love them, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura!! Your card and tag are sooo flippin adorable! LOVE them both...I wanna eat the cupcake on the tag...it's the whole dark chocolate fetish :]

    I'm so PROUD of you for already mailing Katie's card! You go girl!!! Mine is going in the post tomorrow. Great giveaway also...who wouldn't want an entire box full of crafty goodies?! I know I would!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable creations, Laura!!! I just LOVE your layouts and use of the sentiment stamps for background!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too cute! Love your paper piecing and how you used the sentiment for a background.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails